
One of the most important things I have learned since moving to Vancouver is that it's okay to make the wrong decisions. I made many decisions in the past years that I'm thankful for because I learned a lot from them. Eating the wrong foods, dating the wrong guys, procrastinating studying until two hours before the exam, getting the wrong hair cut and making the wrong friends are just some examples.
But that's okay. My hair will grow again, I found new awesome friends and I'll go back to my 'normal' body weight once I change my eating habits back to the German "I eat carbohydrates in form of bread all day but never gain weight" diet.
I have decided to transfer to a German university next year, probably even in my hometown Göttingen. It was a really tough decision to make because I love everything about Vancouver and UBC. But after only a couple of weeks here I realized that my dream of studying and working in Canada was not worth spending all of my parent's savings and asking my family to give me a student loan(fyi, in Germany there's no such thing as student loans because we don't have tuition fees in most parts of Germany and banks won't give you a loan unless you work full-time.). So after many restless nights and long conversations with my friends and family I have decided to go back to Germany for my undergraduate program to save money and go abroad (hopefully to Canada <3) for graduate school.
I'm applying for a business program at the University of Göttingen and universities in Berlin. Living costs in my hometown are about 1/3 of the living costs in Vancouver and I'd get to see my friends and family whenever I want. Not to mention that the apartment I'd live in is close to campus and I'd live across the street from my best friend. And being able to borrow my parent's car from time to time would be convenient, too. It sounds fantastic but having to give up my dream (at least for awhile) is hard and hearing my friends talking about where they're gonna live next year, which courses they wanna take and their travel plans for the summer makes me incredibly sad and wish I could live this dream for just a little bit longer.
Aaw...you can always come back when the time is right! :) And at least you got to study here for a bit, right? I went to France to tour schools a few years ago and was sooo envious that there's no tuition, there. It's so expensive to go to school (and live, in this city) here...It sounds like it will be lovely there, too. :) I hope we can meet up for coffee before you go!
ReplyDeleteThanks Michelle! I'll definitely come back even if it's just for a (looong) visit - I made so many fabulous friends here I'm gonna miss them :( Meeting up for a coffee sounds great!! :)
DeletePlease, don't be sad! I know many people looking forward to the end of april to see YOU again and knit with YOU again and do lots of other great things with YOU!!
ReplyDeletebtw: I visited your mom on the big exhibition in Dortmund and got the chance to try one of this georgeous quilting machines. :O That was fun!
Aww thank you <3 I gotta admit that I'm pretty excited to have a 'real' knitting group again!! Haha those huge machines are kind of intimidating - did my mom tell you that she wants to buy one? I'm sure you'll be welcome to use it anytime :)
Delete