Saturday, October 5, 2013

my first quilt. ever.

MBP_3200
The other day, my mom and I were searching for something in my parents' attic and we found the very first quilt I ever made. I don't remember how old exactly I was when I made it but I was probably 5-6 years old. I asked my mom why it didn't look all wonky and badly sewn and she claims she pinned everything in place and let me sew it with her sewing machine.
MBP_3188
The pattern is pretty simple (duh!) and I wouldn't choose the same fabrics again but it looks like I've always had a thing for pink :)
MBP_3192
The finished size is about 25 x 25 inches which makes it more like a wall hanging than anything else.
MBP_3194
I remember using a quilt stencil to draw the lines for the border quilting. It was so much fun and probably my favorite part of making this little quilt!
MBP_3190
It was hand quilted but I can't imagine that I did it all myself - I'm really impatient when it comes to sewing anything by hand and I don't think that was any different when I was younger ;)
I'm not too sure what to do with it yet; it might go back to my parents' attic. Or I might hang it somewhere... it definitely needs a good wash because there are some white stains on it but I'm afraid the fabrics might not handle a washing too well.

Do you still have your first quilt/sewing project? I'd love to see it!

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic find!

    Give it a soak (like a fine knit) and then display it in your home - perhaps as a table topper. It is too precious to store in the attic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super impressive,especially as you were so young! definitely something to treasure
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my this looks lovely for your first quilt and hand sewn!! My first sewing project was a pencil case in the 9th grade, it wasn't anything spectacular but I was sure proud of myself when I made it!

    Happy Monday!

    - J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how sweet. I love that you made it when you were so young. So very precious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments - I enjoy reading every single one of them.

<3 Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...