Monday, August 1, 2011

a new quilt.

quilt.1


So on Friday I decided I needed a soft, cozy and bright quilt for my dorm. Yesterday, my Mom and I cut all the fabrics into squares. It's a quirky collection of very bright and colorful fabrics. I love the variety - lots of dots and owls!


quilt.3


Today we improvised a design wall large enough to fit a bed size quilt (we hung some fabric in front of my closet. not perfect but it works well if you don't touch it too much) and started designing the quilt (meaning putting all the squares in a random order).


quilt.2


This is what we ended with (please ignore the mess on my bed). We started sewing it together. Turns out we aren't super talented with keeping the correct order so the final quilt won't exactly look like the pieces on the design wall. But oh well, it's a random quilt ;)

We only have a couple of days left to finish it because we'll go on vacation to Denmark on Friday - and I want to finish the binding during the 9-hour drive. Soo tomorrow we'll finish sewing the top, do the basting and then my Mom will machine quilt it :)

I can't wait to see (and share!) the finished quilt. I hope your weekend has been as productive as mine. 



5 comments:

  1. Wow, you're productive!! I am very impressed & wish you the best of luck in getting it done on time! I planned to make a quilt for my down bed.. started it a year before freshman year, and it's now senior year and the quilt's still in pieces. In my defense, though, I did run out of two of the fabrics! You'll hopefully have better luck since you've got yours all set. They look great!
    Here's a peek at my quilt: http://fluffyland.com/blog/index.php/2008/a-slight-dilemma/
    but unfortunately I haven't made much progress since then (2008!! uh oh).

    ReplyDelete
  2. your quilt looks amazing - i love the colors!! I think you should try to find similar fabrics and finish it :)
    Btw, I LOVE your rotary cutter! Is it pink?? <3 haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, i wanted to start a quilt for such a long time now, i think it's such a beautiful accessoire for every bedroom! where did you get the fabric to make yours (that's always my problem - where to get the fabric, haha)
    Hanna
    www.dancersdreamers.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got most of the fabric from http://www.hancocks-paducah.com because they often offer free international shipping! If you live in the US you'll find lots of cute and rather cheap fabrics at JoAnn Fabrics. If you are looking for high quality fabrics (which, unfortunately, are very expensive!) check out your local quilt shop. There are so many beautiful fabrics - I especially love Amy Butler and Japanese fabrics :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! This looks so awesome!
    I always wanted to make a quilt for my godson but I am a little afraid that it´s not so easy as in my head.
    Your quilt is VERY beautiful!
    Greetings from Cologne, Germany.
    xoxo, Nora.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments - I enjoy reading every single one of them.

<3 Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...