Wednesday, March 27, 2013

52 crafts // sewing machine accessories pouch

MBP_8564
Today I needed a creative break from studying. I'm at the last section of my color affection shawl where it's just knitting back and forth and it seems to take an hour just to knit one row because there are like a thousand stitches on the needles (or so it feels...). Anyway, the prospect of knitting endless rows of garter stitch in just one color isn't very exciting so I'm saving it for a movie's night or something.

I decided to make a little pouch for all of my juki sewing machine supplies because there are so many feet, bobbins and screwdrivers etc. My old sewing machine had like three feet that I stored in the little thingy on the front of my machine plus some bobbins that were in a vintage metal box. But the juki has way too many accessories to fit into the thingy on the front (is there a technical term?) and my sewing supplies drawer that holds my scissors, measuring tapes, etc. was getting messy and it took me forever to find what I was looking for.

So I used the echino peacock fabric (I love the combination of 45% cotton and 55% linen - the structure is amazing and it's perfect for pouches and bags because it's heavier than just a cotton fabric) for the outer and a matching ikea ditte fabric for the lining. I didn't add an interfacing because I was too lazy to get my ironing board out the pouch isn't supposed to protect the stuff, just keep it from being all over the place.
MBP_8576
There's still plenty of room for more feet and bobbins etc.
Have you noticed that the pouch matches the juki logo? Of course that was intentional - duh.

It was the perfect quick study break project; it only took me 25 minutes to complete it - including cutting the fabrics and bobbin winding. Yay. Fun and quick, that's the kind of project I like :)

How do you organize/store your sewing machine accessories?

MBP_8566
52craftprojects2013
This is project #10 of 52 craft projects I'm attempting to complete in 2013.
You can see all the other projects I've complete so far here.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love this idea! I get annoyed when the supplies clank around inside that compartment in the sewing machine. This is a much softer storage solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these days I'll have to post a picture of my sewing machine, it will definitely make you laugh and you'll see why I don't have to worry about this kind of problem. Also, I applaud your ability to remain creative even when under stress, I rarely take creative breaks anymore because I usually end up watching TV and mindlessly knitting. My brain is so full it just doesn't flow. Do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivy :) Sticky notes work best for me. Whenever I have an idea for something I wanna make I jot it down and stick it to my closet. I use different colored sticky notes for knitting, sewing, paper crafting, etc. Sometimes I add the approximate time it will take me. So whenever I feel uninspired I look at all the colorful sticky notes and chose one project that seems manageable at that time :)
      Or if none of my recent sticky notes inspire me make something right away I go on pinterest. Usually I find something quick and fun within just a couple minutes :)

      I usually use my cell phone's timer to make sure I don't 'get lost' in the project. After all, being a student is my 'occupation' so school work should always have priority. Though I usually 'burn out' much faster when I don't take creative breaks ;)

      Delete
  3. This is such a great idea!! So far I just hold my supplies in a little tupperware that my grandma gave me. It has a "sewing box" label in her own handwriting that I just love. But I am unfortunately outgrowing it, so it would be good to make myself a little bag like this. I like the little measuring tape detail. As soon as I figure out how to sew a zipper, I will be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sewing in zippers looks much harder than it is. I'd look for a tutorial online and practice with a couple of scraps and old zippers. Once you figured out how to sew zippers you'll wanna make pouches for the rest of your life ;)

      Delete
  4. Hurray pouches! It's amazing how quick they are to make... so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments - I enjoy reading every single one of them.

<3 Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...