Wednesday, September 24, 2014

wiwo wednesday vol. 11

MBP_3791
The past week flew by and I didn't have as much time to knit as I would've liked to. Alas, there's no progress on the Elfreide scarf. But I'm halfway done with the second sleeve of the Ravello sweater. I hope to finish it by the weekend so I get to adventure out with a friend and take pictures of it.
MBP_3798
These socks were knitted in class exclusively. Sadly, my summer class is over now (actually the final is tomorrow) and the socks aren't finished yet. Though I'm not too sad about having more free time again and finishing knitting these socks while catching up on tv series doesn't sound too bad either, right?
MBP_3786
I finished the stripe obsession shawl (yay!) but didn't have a chance to take pictures yet. But I didn't want this post to exist of only two pictures and three sentences. The yarn above is the first skein of yarn I spun on my new wheel (which I still haven't introduced to you get... shame on me!). It's far from perfect but I love it and can't stop squishing it whenever I see it. So I'm thinking of using it for a hat. Only problem is that I have no clue how to 'measure' handspun yarn. And even if I did measure it I'd only get an estimate because it's more of a rustic handspun... as in thick & thin. Do you have any suggestions for a hat pattern for this gorgeous yarn?

7 comments:

  1. What about Wurm for the hat? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/wurm Great pattern, makes a very useable hat and I have made it from aran weight as well as the suggested sport - you might have to fudge the cast-on figures etc.
    Another option might be Yukidama http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/yukidama but you'd need to see whether the pattern stitch section which is lovely with slightly variegated yarns works nicely with the thick-and-thin nature of your (lovely!) skein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm gonna cast on Wurm (it's been on my to-knit list for quite a while) tonight and see how I like it :)

      Delete
  2. Well done on finishing the stripe obsession

    I think handspun can be measured using "wraps per inch" http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/11/determining-yarn-weights/ explains it, it looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, I love your handspun! Do you need to measure the thickness, then you need to do a wraps per inch ad the Foggy Knitter mentioned. If it's the yardage you are after and you use a niddy noddy, just count out your rounds and multiply it with the length of your niddy noddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pia :) I checked out the Foggy Knitter's link and it really helped. Only problem is that I get very different results depending on which where I measure the wpi's :D
      I don't have a noddy noddy but it's definitely on my Christmas list :)

      Delete
  4. Have I said yet that I love the colors you chose for your Ravello? I'm amazed that you can knit an entire sweater in a month!

    Do you have a scale that can measure very small weights (a postage scale or a kitchen scale)? Measuring how many grams your handspun weighs, then measuring yardage and dividing, will give you a rough idea of your yarn weight.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments - I enjoy reading every single one of them.

<3 Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...