Tuesday, April 16, 2013

52 craft projects // pencil case

MBP_9377
The other day I found myself sitting in a rather boring logistics class and noticed a cute, handmade pencil pouch a girl had. I made a mental note to sew one because the one I've had since high school is rather small (as in three pens and one highlighter and it won't close properly anymore). So today after trying to study for like an hour I decided to take a break and do something useful instead of just reading the same page over and over again without actually remembering anything.

I used my current favorite echino fabric (again.) and the 1€ ikea fabric for the lining. I don't have much fusible interfacing left (that stuff is hard to get in Germany... sad face) so I used some 'conventional' interfacing. It's rather thick and I was worried I'd have to quilt it to keep it from crumbling but just sewing it to the outer fabric worked fine, although it kept stretching and moving in all directions. Learning how to sew bags with fusible interfacing really spoiled me.
MBP_9391
The zipper is from a big bag full of recycled zippers that I got at a flea market last year for 2€. It looks super sturdy and the color is awesome.
MBP_9380
I made it big enough for my calculator, ruler and pens and highlighters. Not having to empty my entire bag in every class to search my calculator will save tons of time. The calculator seems to always end up being stuck at the bottom of my bag underneath books and binders. I guess the calculator is happy to finally have a home in my bag ;)
MBP_9412
52craftprojects2013

This is project #12 of 52 craft projects I'm attempting to complete in 2013.
You can see all the other projects I've complete so far here.

10 comments:

  1. I love Freudenberg Vlieseline H630. It's fusible, adds a little bit of volume, but not too much and is imho perfect for stabilizing small pouches. Have you tried it?

    btw: lovelovelove the fabric. And the idea to make it big enough for your calculator is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke, Froschi :) Ich werde mal meine Mom fragen, vielleicht hat sie das ja, damit ich es mal testen kann. Hast du das auch für deine Strickbeutel verwendet?

      Delete
  2. I wish I could sew. Such a cute bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice - maybe I should make one for DS (in a "manly" fabric though:) because he has similar problems with his calculator... there should be enough zippers in my stash after I raided a bin in the recycling center last year! or maybe I should make one in wipe-down plastic stuff - because teenagers are such piggies:)
    enjoy your new bag!
    Bettina

    ReplyDelete
  4. That zipper is the best! That bag of zippers must have been an exciting find. And I agree - sometimes it's better to stop studying and make something, rather than wearing yourself out trying NOT to make something and only studying a little bit. (or maybe that's just what i tell myself)

    And the pouch is darling :) it always feels so good to come up with the right way to carry all your things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel - sometimes you just have to give in to your urge to make something in order to study productively afterwards :)

      Delete
  5. I've just spent many hours looking through your blog, and I'm just really impressed - by your wonderful photos, by your clever crafting, and by just how fun your writing is! You've definitely got a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Kaiya <3
      your blog is rad, too, and I can't wait to 'get to know you' ;)

      Delete
  6. Nice work! This is such a cute little bag. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh - it's so cute!! :) I went through a serious pencil-case-making phase last year, myself...he he...they're pretty addicting, but a lot more work then you'd think with that zipper, right? It looks lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments - I enjoy reading every single one of them.

<3 Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...